Saturday, September 8, 2012

CSA Week 11

This week's haul included:


Pears, lettuce, mint, 4 ears of corn, green beans, peaches, onions, green peppers and tomatoes.

First up, the lettuce, peppers, some onions and some tomatoes went into a big green salad with cannelini beans.

For dessert, I followed the recipe provided by Silverbrook for individual peach 'cobblers'. I made a bed of homemade granola with dried cranberries following this recipe, then warmed the peaches in a mixture of butter, brown sugar and lemon juice. Topped with mint, it was crunchy, sweet and yummy! 

 In a desperate attempt to keep using up all the corn I receive, I started stuffing random vegetables with it. There were a few large green pattypan squashes at the farmer's market, and they were too cute to pass up. I made a seasoned mixture of corn, tomatoes and onions, stuffed it into the squash and baked everything, then garnished with parsley. Veggies galore!

Next came a big messy amateur homage to chiles rellenos - or stuffed chili peppers. I also saw some gorgeous mole and poblano peppers at the market and snatched them up. I made another mix of corn, tomatoes, onions and black beans and seasoned it with taco seasoning and lime juice. Then I sliced open the peppers, stuffed them with the corn mixture and baked them. Everything went on a brown rice tortilla with guacamole and cashew lime cream (a nice vegan substitute for sour cream, just blend cashews with lime juice). These were awesome, messy and filling and totally vegan.

 Lastly, the green beans and remaining tomatoes topped a dinner of penne, with parmesan cheese and pine nuts based on this recipe. I'm starting to develop a taste for pine nuts, which I never really liked before. 

That's all for now, more next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment