Sunday, August 26, 2012

CSA Week 10

Week 10 brought:
A head of lettuce, corn, basil, a mixed bunch of braising greens - kale, rainbow chard, bok choy, baby carrots, shallots, okra, tomatoes and peaches.

To start off, I've decided to start celebrating food holidays! Have you ever heard someone say "Hey, it's national s'mores day", or "Happy national doughnut day!" and wonder where the list of these days is kept? Well, thanks to The Kitchn, I found this website, which lists the food and drink you can celebrate on just about every day of the year. How 'official' it is, who knows? But I've taken note of the days I'd like to celebrate as a means of fun menu inspiration.

First up, last Sunday was both National Potato Day, and International Hot and Spicy Food Day. To celebrate, I found this mouth-watering recipe for spicy potato, bok choy and shallot hash at Serious Eats.

Heat the main ingredients in a skillet, and top with a fried egg and plenty of sriracha and gochujang (Korean red pepper paste), it's a hot, fiery, homey hash. These two sauces will burn the fear out of you.

 Next, I used the lettuce and carrots to make a milder meal - a large salad that included fennel, borlotti beans and tofu with a mustard vinaigrette and a side of local fresh bread.

 I'm running out of ideas for using up corn! I decided to try vegan corn chowder, which turned out sweet and delicious, with homemade croutons and I paired it with the braised greens and more local bread. 

 Lastly, the tomatoes and basil went into a tofu and eggplant curry, and I stewed the okra in a tamarind sauce, both recipes from The Complete Curry Cookbook.

Looking forward to Week 11!

No comments:

Post a Comment