Saturday, August 25, 2012

CSA Week 9

Week 9 has come! The time seems to be flying by. What am I going to do after October when my CSA ends?! This week brought:
Peaches, tomatoes, a bunch of basil, corn, a head of lettuce, eggplant, onions and green peppers.

I've also made a habit of picking up fruit every week from the Noquochoke Orchards stand at the farmer's market, and this week they had monster-sized Granny Smiths. This green giant weighed 3/4 of a pound!

A quick trip to the store for some pantry staples, and the first dish I made was a simple pasta with tomato sauce. But most importantly, it was fresh tomato sauce based off of a recipe from Silverbrook. Tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar and a touch of crushed red pepper. Combine and let sit. The taste of summer.

Next I got a bit more complicated with coconut-crusted tofu with peach lemongrass salsa (via Eating Well), and an accompanying salad of lettuce, cucumber, edamame and mushrooms in a soy ginger dressing. Both dishes were delicious and I'd love to make the tofu and salsa again.

Another two dish dinner was next, with ginger-miso glazed eggplant (via Bon Appetit) paired with chilled crab and corn salad (via Martha Stewart). The eggplant was rich and savory, and went well with the cold crunch of the corn salad, which included onions and extra basil.

Last but not least, I made black rice salad with mango and peanuts, which I had been drooling over after seeing it in a recent issue of Bon Appetit.

Needing to use my green peppers, I stuffed them with the salad, which ended up working very well. I'd never had black (or forbidden) rice before, but it is very sweet, chewy and nutty, almost to the point where, if eaten alone, it is too rich to eat very much. But combining the salad with the fresh, crunchy peppers helped balance the taste.

To close, I wanted to share this hilarious clip from a recent Simpsons episode which featured a song about food blogging. (The episode also included a cameo by Anthony Bourdain. What's not to love?)


Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment