Sunday, August 12, 2012

CSA Week 7

Week 7, and we have:

Onions, 3 ears of corn, a head of lettuce, a bunch of purple basil (!), kale, 2 peppers, 1 cucumber, and baby  pattypan squash. The treat of the week was blueberries, but I already have over a pint frozen from last week, so I gave them to my office as a communal treat. 

First of all, purple basil! I didn't even know basil had a purple variety! The bad part: like last week's lettuce, it went bad before I got around to using it. I was going to make a pesto with it (though in retrospect, the pesto would have been black, maybe a blessing in disguise), but I've now learned my lesson - that a bunch of cut basil needs to be eaten pretty much immediately.

I started out making a massive taco salad using the lettuce, onions, corn and peppers, and adding tomatoes, pinto beans, jalapenos, cheese and tortilla chips. This fed us throughout the week and was incredibly tasty.

 More salad! I also picked up green beans and scallions at the farmer's market to make smitten kitchen's pesto potato salad with green beans. As previously mentioned, my pesto plans for the purple basil didn't pan out, so I dressed the potatoes and beans with scallions, herbs, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic oil, almonds and parmesan cheese. The result was still yummy, even without the pesto! 

 After the salads, I got into a 'snacky' mood, and made kale chips and took my first stab a quick-pickling cucumbers, following this Japanese-style recipe from The Kitchn.

 Also in my snack mood, I made thumbprint jam cookies. Admittedly, I didn't use anything from my CSA this week, but the jam is from the farm that I received in past weeks.

Lastly, I used the squash in a delicious recipe I found for shrimp with squash in a butter parsley sauce.

On to week 8!

No comments:

Post a Comment