Sunday, August 5, 2012

CSA Week 6

Week 6. What's in store?
1 cucumber, 1 yellow squash, a bunch of basil, a head of lettuce, a bunch of kale, 4 ears of corn, onions, 2 purple peppers and the treat of the week: blueberries. I also bought a fennel bulb, cherry tomatoes and a bunch of cranberry beans separately.

It turned out to be a very 'beany' week. I started out making two veggie dishes: potatoes, green beans and corn in lemon brown butter sauce (courtesy of TheKitchn), and roasted squash and fennel with sage (courtesy of Eating Well - I swapped sage for the thyme). Both were sweet and earthy and complemented each other well.

Next, I went nuts with the cranberry beans, also called Borlotti beans. The beautiful pink and purple-speckled white pods contain even more beautiful pink and white beans. 

I first made a breakfast out of half the beans, following this recipe for warmed beans with onions, tomatoes and an egg. I garnished it with chopped basil and served it on a bed of brown rice. Definitely going to make this again!

The remainder of the beans went into a quick bean salad with corn, basil and a vinaigrette dressing.

The peppers, onions, remaining tomatoes, basil and kale went into one of my favorite one-pot vegan meals: Protein Power Goddess Bowls from the vegan blog Oh She Glows. You can eat this filling combo of grains and veggies hot or cold, and it's consistently flavorful and creamy thanks to a tahini-lemon dressing. 

As for the remainders: the cucumber went into a batch of our favorite cold soba noodles with wilted bok choy (see sidebar), the blueberries were frozen for as yet undetermined future use, and the lettuce unfortunately went bad before I could figure out what to do with it. Alas, the first casualty of my CSA! But what can you really do with lettuce besides salads or lettuce wraps?

I'll post next week's meals soon. I got another head of lettuce and put it to good use!

No comments:

Post a Comment